Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Reality TV Issues

My friend Jenny has been watching Bravo’s millionaire matchmaker since she arrived in the states. She really love the show because she’s really into reality tv and sorts. But one character that really caught her attention was Dave Levine aka SexToy Dave, who is by the way coming back this season 2. Yeah, the controversial Dave, who recently loves writing essay on his website www.SexToyDave.com, and has been commenting on issues about reality tv.

Yeah, Jenny even likes to read his essays, especially the one that says reality tv is not a fake. Well, I did read that one too (the moment she told me about it) and somehow I kinda agree with him at one point. I specifically agree on the part where he said that “Most of the fakeness on reality TV is because people themselves are not honest in general. On TV, fake personalities are often exposed through interviews and confrontations forcing them to get real. So again, the fake person ends up being more real on TV than in real life.” That’s very true, individuals who usually joins a reality tv contest don’t are a little closed about who they really are the ones being confronted and in the end are the declared losers. I also agree on this part "But I argue the opposite is true, reality TV is more real than real life because on TV, you are forced to open up to difficult questions about your feelings and make decisions based on those feelings. Hiding your true intentions may be what usually happens in real life, but expressing yourself openly as people do on TV is what real reality is all about."

Anyways, I think I’ll be eyeing of Dave Levine aka Sex Toy Dave after this and see what else he have to say in the future.

0 comments: